Facilitation Skills for Scientists, Planners and Resource Managers
This popular facilitation training will provide you with the skills needed to plan, design and facilitate meetings more effectively, with lower anxiety and better meeting outcomes. We present principles needed for successful meetings of any size, from small staff meetings to large controversial public meetings.
This course is intended to be a practical approach to improving group meetings. It is oriented specifically to the needs of scientists, planners and resource managers. Core facilitation skills are presented and practiced during class. Students are presented with a wide array of tools and opportunities to practice new facilitation skills and receive feedback in a safe environment. Participants will be asked to complete a pre-workshop skills profile and the class will be tailored to meet the class’s needs.
Students will be provided an overview of the competencies required for effective meetings. These competencies include:
- The ability to assess needs and design meetings to serve the purpose of the meeting and the interests of meeting participants
- Understanding the roles and responsibilities of the facilitator, assist team, meeting leader, participants, etc.
- Managing and facilitating meetings
- Facilitating as a leader – balancing two roles
- Information gathering and presentation techniques
- Communication skills and practice (Verbal skills, Nonverbal skills, Recording skills)
- Basic visual facilitation techniques
- Decision-making processes
- Evaluation processes
(21 CM AICP Credits/CEP Points)
Lunch is provided.
Instructor: Jim Nelson held several responsible positions with the California Department of Fish and Game until he retired at the end of 2006. Since then, he has owned and operated Nelson Facilitation LLC. Since the early 1990's Jim has pursued the study and practice of facilitation, negotiation, and mediation for environmental problem solving. He has facilitated many meetings, small and large, simple and complex, friendly and controversial. He brings a wealth of training and experience to share in creating grace and ease in your meetings.