Approval for the creation of the Australian Chapter of SWS was granted on 11 August 2000 at the SWS 2000 annual meeting in Quebec, Canada. The Australian Chapter is the first chapter located in a country outside of North America, a fact of which we are quite proud.
The Australian Chapter was founded with the intent of bringing together wetland scientists and other professionals from around Australia (and Oceania) who share common interests in wetland science and management.
SWS Oceania shares the SWS International vision with a regional emphasis on developing and facilitating wetland science, management/practice and policy networks within the Oceania region.
- To promote innovation in wetland science in the Oceania region
- To provide policy guidance underpinned by good wetland science
- To develop and facilitate wetland science, management/practice and policy connections and networks within Oceania, including pacific island communities
- To develop and facilitate connections and networks between the Oceania region and the international wetland science, management/practice and policy community
- To strengthen connections between wetland science, management/practice and policy
- To promote and support wetland science education in the Oceania region