3 minutes reading time
Announcing: New Society of Wetland Scientists 40th Anniversary Award
Purpose: On the occasion of the 40th Anniversary of the Society of Wetland Scientists the Executive Board would like to recognize high level and sustained contributions to wetland research, practice, education, or communication, or service to the Society. These awards are additional to the awards offered annually by the Society and covers the breadth of professional activity normally undertaken by members. Nominations for the Award are open to all members in good standing through the Chairs of the Chapters, Sections and Standing Committees.
- Each Chapter, Section and Standing Committee is invited to nominate 1 or 2 of their members (in good standing) for consideration as a recipient of the Society of Wetland Scientists 40th Anniversary Award for high level and sustained contributions to wetland research, practice, education, communication, or support to the Society. This message is being sent to all Chairs and also to all members via the Society's web page news service.
- The Chair of the Chapter, Section or Standing Committee, or their nominee, is asked to seek nominations from their members and arrange for the supporting information for their agreed 1 or 2 nominations to be forwarded to the Chair of the Awards Committee by November 13, 2020. In a cover message, the Chair (or nominee) should describe in 3-4 sentences the reasons for the nominations along with a separate statement about how they avoided any potential conflicts of interest in choosing their nominees. The Executive Board will also be invited to make nominations with a particular emphasis on sustained contributions, including for support to the Society through contributions to good governance of the Society.
- Each nomination should consist of a short (1-2 pages) Curriculum Vitae of the nominee and a succinct 1 page statement by each of two referees in support of the nomination against one or more of the categories for the award (wetland research, practice, education, communication, or support to the Society). These letters should outline the reasons for the nomination and provide tangible examples or evidence. This information should accompany the nominations forwarded from the Chair of each Chapter, Section or Standing Committee to the Chair of the Selection Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) and clearly marked "SWS 40th Anniversary Award Nomination".
- In making nominations please consider the outcomes and impact on wetland research, practice, education, communication, or support to the Society, and the period over which these have occurred in addition to any individual or one-off high value contributions. The emphasis is on outcomes and impact, not just outputs (that is, while the quality of research publications is an important indicator, it is not the sole indicator in the assessment of importance and impact). The nomination should summarize the evidence in support of the high level and sustained contributions made by the nominee.
- The award will comprise a certificate with an inscription reading "Society of Wetland Scientists 40th Anniversary Award for high level and sustained contributions to [wetland research, practice, education, communication or service to the Society]" and be announced at the 2020 Virtual Conference.
- The decision on the number of awards and awardees will be made by the Selection Committee. Late nominations cannot be accepted and the Committee will not enter into any discussion with other parties about the award processes. The Selection Committee will be headed by the Chair of the Awards Committee, along with the President and two Past Presidents of the Society.